Henrico Citizen: Spanberger, others urge SBA to eliminate PPP stipulation

Requirement that at least 75% of loan amount be used for payroll too strict, representatives say

HENRICO CITIZEN

U.S. Congresswoman Abigail Spanberger, who represents the western half of Henrico County and Virginia’s Seventh District, joined with seven other members of the House of Representatives yesterday to issue a letter urging the U.S. Small Business Administration and Department of Treasury to improve flexibility for small businesses that are seeking federal assistance and own forgiveness through the SBA’s Payroll Protection Program, or PPP.

The version of the CARES Act passed by Congress required businesses that received a PPP loan not to reduce their total payroll by more than 25 percent in order to have the loan fully forgiven. But the SBA later added a much stricter stipulation, saying that loan recipients must spend at least 75 percent of the money on payroll (leaving only 25 percent for rent or utilities payments) or else risk having to pay some of the loan back.

Spanberger, a Democrat, joined with five other Democrats and two Republicans to urge officials to eliminate that provision.

“We ask that you rescind this requirement and allow small businesses the flexibility, within the parameters set forth by Congress, to use the PPP loans as necessary to keep their individual business afloat,” the eight wrote.

In addition to Spanberger, the letter was signed by U.S. Representatives Paul Mitchell (R-MI-10), Kathleen Rice (D-NY-04), Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA-01), Dean Phillips (D-MN-03), Jason Crow (D-CO-06), Elaine Luria (D-VA-02), and Gil Cisneros (D-CA-39).

Recent Posts


Jun 13, 2024
Womens' Issues

Spanberger Statement on Supreme Court Ruling to Protect Mifepristone Access

Congresswoman: “We Should Never Have Come This Close to the Fundamental Freedoms of Women in Virginia and Across the Country Being Stripped Away” WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Representative Abigail Spanberger today released the following statement after the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling to uphold access to mifepristone. “Since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade nearly […]



Jun 12, 2024
Healthcare

AARP Backs Spanberger’s Bipartisan Bill to Combat Elder Abuse, Improve Link Between Health & Social Services for Seniors

The Congresswoman’s Legislation Would Create Medical-Legal Partnerships to Improve Seniors’, Other Vulnerable Elders’ Access to Legal & Social Services in Healthcare Settings WASHINGTON, D.C. — Following last month’s introduction of U.S. Representative Abigail Spanberger’s bipartisan bill to help protect seniors from elder abuse, AARP has now backed her legislation. Spanberger’s Linking Seniors to Needed Legal […]



Jun 11, 2024
Healthcare

Spanberger Joins AARP Virginia Town Hall, Backs Bills to Lower Drug Costs for Seniors, Expand Medicare Coverage, & Support Caregivers

On Monday Evening, the Congresswoman Joined AARP Virginia to Discuss Her Work in Congress to Support Family Caregivers & Lower the Cost of Prescription Drugs The Congresswoman Also Backed Four Bills Requiring Medicare to Cover Dental, Vision, & Hearing Services; Disincentivize Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs) From Raising Drug Prices for Beneficiaries; Support Caregivers; Improve Coordination […]