Rep. Spanberger serves on two committees, the U.S. House Commitee on Foreign Affairs and the U.S. House Committee on Agriculture. These two committee assignments were Spanberger's top-choice assignments for her first term in Congress.
The House Foreign Affairs Committee is responsible for legislation related to U.S. foreign policy, national security developments affecting foreign policy, and all aspects of congressional oversight over the diplomatic community. Spanberger brings unique professional expereince to this committee's discussions as a former CIA officer.
Spanberger serves as a member of the Subcommittees on Europe, Eurasia, Energy, & the Environment and Asia, the Pacific, & Nonproliferation. These assignments give Spanberger the opportunity to reaffirm the importance of our country's security relationships with our global allies, and address specific challenges like
- Mitigating the effects of climate change
- Reviewing the long-term sustainabliity of our energy supplies
- Stopping nefarious actors from obtaining weapons of mass destruction
- Examining innovative ways to expand our diplomatic, defense, and economic engagement abroad
The House Agriculture Committee is responsible for federal agriculture policy and related oversight; the committee also makes appropriations recommendations for various governmental agencies and programs, including those related to food security.
Spanberger also serves as the Chair of the Conservation & Forestry Subcommittee and a member of the Commodity Exchanges, Energy, & Credit Subcommittee. These committees are responsible for a wide array of issue areas, including
- Soil conservation and soil health
- Resource management
- Water quality
- Agricultural markets and credit
- Rural electrification and broadband access
Spanberger is eager to explore new and innovative ways to expand opportunity for rural communities in Central Virginia and across the country.
Rep. Spanberger is a member of the following caucuses and task forces:
- The New Democrats
- The Blue Dog Democrats
- The Problem Solvers Caucus
- The Bipartisan Women's Caucus
- The Future Forum
- The Freshman Working Group on Addiction